Byron Bay Hinterland: Activites & Things To Do
THE BYRON BAY HINTERLAND IS HOME TO A VERITABLE TREASURE TRAIL OF GALLERIES, ANTIQUES SHOPS AND CRAFT OUTLETS. HAPPY BROWSING!
There is so much to see and do throughout the Byron Bay hinterland area. For those who appreciate superb panoramic views, untouched rainforests and National Parks, standing next to a crystal clear waterfall or just driving along quiet country lanes, then you have found paradise. The heartland of sub-tropical NSW has all this and more to offer and it is all just a short drive away from beautiful Far North Coast NSW beaches including Byron Bay, Lennox Head, Ballina plus many more.
A quiet few hours fishing can be enjoyed on many of the hinterland's riverbanks or estuaries…..take a picnic and soak up the idyllic surroundings of this unspoiled piece of heaven. Horseriding adventures along streams and across lush green pastures, a round of golf or bike riding along country lanes are marvellous ways of appreciating the countryside of the hinterland.
Locally grown produce is one of the area's quickest growing industries with commercial crops of coffee, bush foods like lemon myrtle and macadamias being sold throughout Australia and overseas. The hinterland with its volcanic soil and temperate climate is the country's macadamia capital with hundreds of plantations of all sizes. You can call in to a number of establishments, buy their produce and find out more about the local products.
Of course, you may find this tranquil part of the world beckons you to do absolutely nothing! If so, why not while away a few hours experiencing the peace and relaxation of a massage or find out more about natural therapies. In the Byron hinterland you will find masseurs, naturopaths, specialist herbalists, yoga classes, homeopaths and even a day spa. Your accommodation hosts will be more than happy to point you in the right direction or even to arrange an in-house treatment.
- Amaze n' Place – maze, puzzles and café, Wardell Rd, Alstonville. (66287518).
- House With No Steps - working farm, café, nursery and craft shop providing employment for people with disabilities – Alstonville (66280610).
- Thursday Plantation - Tea Tree Plantation and Sculpture Exhibition – Ballina (66867273).
- Bangalow Cooking School - (66872799).
- Byron Bay Wildlife Tours - Wildlife tour in the hinterland (0429770686).
- Guided 4WD tours - Forgotten Country Ecotours (66877845).
- Crystal Castle – Crystals, maze, café - via Federal and Mullumbimby(66843111).
- Macadamia Castle - Café, mini golf Knockrow, Pacific Highway (66878432).
- Northern Rivers Kayak tours, Evans Head (66826229).
- Koala Rescue - Southern Cross Uni – Lismore (66221233).
- Moo Moo Stitches - Patchwork and craft workshops, fabrics, gifts, (66770200).
- Take a Flight in a Genuine ex-RAAF Warbird! www.classicaero.com.au
BACK TO NATURE ACTIVITIES
- Booyun Nature Reserve – Remnant Rainforest – Lismore.
- Brunswick Valley Heritage Park - Riverside Walking Track along Brunswick River in Mullumbimby.
- Hinterland Wildlife Tours: www.byronbaywildlifetours.com
- Minyon Falls and Rummery Park - Picnic and bushwalking.
- Rocky Creek Dam - Picnic and bush walking trails.
- Terania Creek and Protestors Falls - Picnic and rainforest walk.
- Tucki Tucki Nature Reserve – Koala Reserve - Woodburn Rd.
- Victoria Park Nature Reserve – Alstonville.
- Unique and diverse range of outdoor activities: www.byronbay360.com.au
- Kayaking, scuba diving, surfing schools, wind surfing, cycling, ballooning, gliding, fishing charters
- Golf courses at Teven, Ocean Shores, Mullumbimby, Byron Bay, Lismore, Ballina and Murwillumbah.
- Bike Riding - organised rides along country roads from Mullumbimby - True Wheel Cycles (66841959).
- Horse riding - Pegasus Park - Bangalow (66871446). www.pegasuspark.com.au
- Teven Golf Course: www.tevenvalleygolfcourse.com.au
- Seabreeze hang gliding: www.seabreezehanggliding.com
- KoolKatz Learn to surf: www.koolkatzsurf.com
- MountainBike Tours and Cycling tours: www.mountainbiketours.com.au
GALLERIES, SECOND HAND BOOKS AND COLLECTABLES
Barratt Galleries, Main Street.
Crawford House Historical Museum.
Quotidian & Quixotic Gallery - Aboriginal art. Main St Alstonville ph 6628 8582
gingerlily vintage crafts, 1/76 Main Street, Alstonville 6628 1450
- Maritime Museum, Regatta Avenue (66811002).
- Readers Delight Book Exchange, Riverwalk Arcade (66864739).
- Summerland Antiques, Corner Smith Drive & Pacific Highway (66860211).
- Air T&G: www.airtg.com.au
- Bangalow Cooking School: www.bangalowcookingschool.com
- Barebones Artspace, 44 Byron Street.
- Country House Antiques, 62 Byron Street(66871601).
- The Rug Shop & Asian Antiques, Byron Street.
- Windhorse Gallery of Tibetan Art, Byron Street.
- CWA Country Crafts, Byron Street.
- Bangalow House Antiques and Restoration Byron Street, (66872890).
- Heath's Old Wares & Collectables Station Street (66872222).
- Bangalow 2479 Antiques, Byron St (66872733).
- Heritage House Museum.
- Uncle Peter's Books, Post Office, Byron Street (66291056)
- Vintage Eastern, Chinese furniture and antiques 87 Byron Street (66872629).
- Lazy Bones Emporium, old wares and fabrics, Masonic Hall, Station Street.
- Clem's Cargo – secondhand furniture - 38 Tweed St Brunswick Heads (66803433).
- Mina Mina Art Gallery, 32 Mullumbimbi Street (6685 0226).
- Brunswick Tackle and Surf, 15 Park St
- Visitors Information Centre, 7 Park St Brunswick Heads
- Wheel of Life Studio and Gallery 21 Fingal St
- Pegs'n Pearls Collectables, Main Road (66291722).
- The Front Yard Nursery & Old Wares, Main Road (66291600).
Village Gallery & Trading Co (6629 1649).
Brooke Clunie red door studio pottery. Fernleigh 66878957 www.brookeclunie.com
Regional Art Gallery
Cedar House Antiques, 140 Dalley Street (66842653).
- Tweed River Art Gallery, Tweed Valley Way (66702790).
- Newrybar Art & Asian Gallery.
- Country House Antiques (66870663).
- "The Pottery" at Stokers Siding houses the stunning works of Bob Connery as well as local artists: www.stokerspottery.com.au
HEALTH AND WELL-BEING
This is not a comprehensive guide of all that is available in the area but a few of those known in the hinterland.
- Bangalow Naturopathics - naturopathic dispensary, clinic and massage (66871831).
- Donna Rankin - acupuncture (0408872038).
- Bangalow Chiropractic - Jim Whittle (66870522).
- Bangalow Physiotherapy (6687 23300).
- Sally Pattison - massage deep tissue/relaxation (0417598 958).
- Bangalow Medical Centre (66871079).
- Donna Aboody - massage bodywork (0401 441 582).
- Dr Jane Refell - women's health and wellbeing ( 66872337).
- Gaia Health and Spa Retreat 933 Fernleigh Rd. Brooklet (66871216).
- Check for the latest gigs and enjoy a meal in one of Australia's oldest country pubs, Billinudgel Hotel: www.gdaypubs.com.au
- Kim's Massage Therapy (66291550, 0421825040).
- Catherine Stephan - shiatsu (66858538, 0424 714 069).
- Clay – organic beauty, spa therapy (66846532).
- Kiva Spa - Sauna, spa and massage (66844811).
- Mullumbimby Medical Centre – acupuncture, general medicine, (66841511).
- Mullum Herbals – herbal and naturopathic medicines (66843002).
- Partosho Rowe – kinesiology/remedial massage (66802475, 0416187654).
- 'Down Converys Lane – Preserving Australia's Heritage', 12 Converys Lane, Wollongbar. Phone 6628 8994
Regional Visitor Information
- Ballina Visitor Information www.discoverballina.com
- Bangalow.biz www.bangalow.biz
- Brunswick Heads visitor info centre, www.brunswickheads.com.au
- Byron Visitor Centre (BVC) www.visitbyronbay.com
- Lismore Visitor Information Centre http://www.visitlismore.com.au
- Lismore Tourism: www.visitlismore.com.au
- Tropical NSW Website www.tropicalnsw.com.au
- Rainforest Way has information on walks and drives in the northern NSW and south-east Qld. This site also has reference to World Heritage listings for our region: www.rainforestway.com.au
- Wollumbin Visitor Guide www.bigvolcano.com.au
- Jetstar Airlines www.jetstar.com
- Virgin Airlines www.virginblue.com.au
- Rex Airlines www.regionalexpress.com.au
- Qantas Airlines www.qantas.com.au
- Kirklands Coaches www.kirklands.com.au
- McCaffertys Coaches www.mccaffertys.com.au